Nagios email notifications, newline not getting interpreted ?

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Thu Mar 25 19:35:37 CET 2004

Why are the quotes escaped?  I think you're telling it to ignore the quotes
as dividing characters, which is why none of the options are being seen.
My configuration and the example configs don't escape the quotes.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:18:15PM -0500, James wrote:
> Howdy,
> Trying to get rolling with Nagios for the first time. Installed version
> 1.2 on new FC1 linux server from RPM by Dag.  Configured things to the
> point that nagios would start cleanly.  Installed lastest version of
> nagmin, think I pointed things to the right folder.
>
> Well here's the thing, Nagios is sending out email notifications but the
> message come through as one string like this:
> ""*****""Nagios""*****nnNotification""Type:""PROBLEMnHost:""nagnState:""UPnAddress:""10.1.0.124nInfo:""HTTP""WARNING:""HTTP/1.1""403""ForbiddennnDate/Time:""Thu""Mar""25""11:45:57""EST""2004n""
> This is what my host-notify-by-email looks like:
>  /usr/bin/printf \"%b\" \"***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type:
> $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:
> $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $OUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $DATETIME$\n\" | /bin/mail
> -s \"Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!\" $CONTACTEMAIL$
>
> Also the above message try to go to alert at mydomain.com, for at mydomain.com
> and myaddress at mydomain.com.  It's like quotes and newlines are being
> ignored.
>
> This appeared to happen after adding nagmin to the mix.  After comparing
> old configs to new configs I see where one config uses echo and one uses
> printf.
>
> Anybody seen anything like this before.
>
> Thanks.
> --
>
> James Whittington
> Systems Administrator
>
> Excelorant, LLC
> A TM Floyd Affiliate Company
> 1800 St. Julian Place
> P.O. Box 8263
> Columbia, SC 29202
>
> 803.765.1310 | Phone
> 800.780.1170 | Toll Free
> 803.765.1431 | Fax
>
> jwhittington at excelorant.com

Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.