[Fwd: auth/auth help]

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Mar 23 23:34:48 CET 2004

Resending is bad. Nevertheless, it might have helped this time.

Ron Huff wrote:
> I'm resending this because I have yet to recv any reply...I don't think my
> question is too odd...and I can't believe that everyone else just getting
> what they expect from the authenticated cgi displays...Please, read below
>
> the system is RHE2.1 (tho I can't imagine it matters)...
It doesn't (insofar it complies to posix standards like 'the rest').

---[ snip ]---

There is an online manual at www.nagios.org.

> I have an authenticated 'user', NOT a contact and in the cfg
> file I turn on
>     authorized_for_all_services
> for this user...nothing else.

Problem 1; When you turn on service state access for a user you simply
can't disallow him to also be aware of host status. Services are
identified by host_name+service_description, since any number of hosts
can (and frequently do) offer identical services.
Why you would even grant only all_services but not all_hosts is a bit of
a mystery to me, since you can still block the user from issuing
commands by not including them in the
'authorized_for_all_[host|service]_commands' fields.

> When accessing the statusmap.cgi I get no display, which is
> what I expect.  When I try 'Status Overview for All Hosts', I get
> the msg that I can't have it, which is also expected...then
> I go to 'Status Detail for All Hosts', and it shows me everything!!!??!
> What gives?!? ...is there more/better documentation on these .cfg
> file variable...is this a bug?
No bug. 'Status details' aims at services. Most (all?) of the links in
there will take you to a screen that has __service__ details on it. As
discussed earlier, service info only makes sense when connected to a
certain host. Imagine the 'Service Detail' without the hostnames. Not a
pretty sight.

> Thanks,
You're welcome.

--