service dependencies

Porus Lakdawala porus at sgi.com
Mon Mar 22 22:48:53 CET 2004

No, actually this does not work. For example if we use

	define servicedependency{
		hostgroup_name			HOSTGROUP1
		service_description		SERVICE1
		dependent_hostgroup_name	HOSTGROUP1
		dependent_service_description	SERVICE2
		other dependency directives ...
		}

then SERVICE2 running on all hosts in HOSTGROUP1 will be dependent on
SERVICE1 running on all hosts in HOSTGROUP1.

What I am looking for is to have SERVICE2 on each host in HOSTGROUP1 be
dependent on SERVICE1 running on the same host and no other. Which, atleast
to my mind, would be the most common case.

As things stand currently, the service dependency needs to be defined not
only for each pair of services (which can be done once, each time we add a
new service), but also for every host that we add (which makes it terribly
tedious).

Porus.