Host assumed to be up?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 22 19:15:32 CET 2004

Most service checks will do just fine with a normal_check_interval of 5
minutes. Hard disk checks barely need checking more than once every
hour, while the company internet pipe and the core switch/router will
probably need checking just about every second.

We've solved this problem by using three templates.
critical_service_template{} uses a normal_check_interval of 2 minutes,
and a max_check_attempts of 2 (just minor alarm suppression).
default_service_template{} uses a normal_check_interval of 5 minutes,
max_check_attempts of 3.
noncritical_service_template uses a normal_check_interval of 120 minutes
with a max_check_attempts of 3.
All services use retry_check_interval of 1 minute.

Using this method, nagios scales awesomely even on really large systems
(1200+ checks on 250 hosts).

Cheers,
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson

Mvh