why NRPE can't run whit root user ?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Mar 22 16:35:43 CET 2004

On Monday, March 22, 2004 8:41 AM, LEBRETON Philippe shared with us:

> hello,
>
> I want to run NRPE with the root user but it is impossible.
> I want to run NRPE with the root user because, i write some somme
> plugin that can only work with this user.
> My question is : how i can exec this plugin with a root rights?

My first thought is that it's Very Bad(tm) from a security standpoint.
My second thought is to ask you to consider working within the
filesystem and look at modifying group ownership and permissions to
alleviate the need to run as root. My third thought is that if #2 can't
work for you then perhaps you could run your plugin suid.

--
Marc