Monitoring Long process names on Solaris

Charles Bueche charles at bueche.ch
Sun Mar 21 17:10:52 CET 2004

Hi,

Thanks for your hints, here is my feedback :

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:58:00 +0000
Jim Mozley <jim.mozley at exponential-e.com> wrote:
> > well, for some things, you have no choice. We do it that way (not in
> > Nagios) to check for processes that must run and have ugly long
> > names(eg WLS instances). The right way is to run it once every 5
> > minutes and look for all processes you want (not running /usr/ucb/ps
> > auxwww | grep pname for each process).
>
> Just a thought, have you tried using pgrep? Don't know if it will help
> get around the long names.

not an option for two reasons :

- my stuff must run on Solaris 2.6, where p-commands aren't there
- I do the ps only once, filling a table. I then scan the table for
stuff that must be there and stuff that are forbidden. The whole is done
in Perl.

This is why the performance issue is not that bad. Of course, doing a
"/usr/ucb/ps auxwww | grep -v process_name | grep -v grep" for each
process_name would be indecent.

> I'm using perl's proc::processtable you
> might get some milage from this.

My monitoring doesn't run as root (well, I have some entries in sudoers
for Veritas broken tools and the like) so proc::processstable will not
work as it needs root to get the full ptable. It would however be nice
and cross-platform.

BTW : my monitoring at this customer site isn't done with Nagios, as
they have decided to put a few millions $ in a terminally broken
monitoring framework. The customer and framework names will remain
unspecified here :-)

Charles

--
Charles Bueche <charles at bueche.ch>