Does check_by_ssh work with ssh-agent and/or keychain ?

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Mar 19 17:00:59 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 09:40, Nardus Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi People
>
> Does check_by_ssh work with ssh-agent and/or keychain ?? Is there
> anybody with a working system using this method ?
>
> I have setup everything. The user is "nagios". I can "ssh user at host"
> with no problem and no password prompt :) But when I run
> "/usr/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H support at shark -C /usr/bin/ls" I get
> this prompt "Enter passphrase for key '/home/nagios/.ssh/id_rsa':".
>
> Is the error with ssh or the plugin ?

plugin.

check_by_ssh uses the spopen() function to call ssh. The spopen()
function is designed for nagios plugins.  However, one side-effect of
spopen() is that it wipes out the environment before executing the
program.  And ssh-agent passes on info to the ssh command through use of
the environment.

You may want to consider looking into hostbased ssh authentication,
depending on how your network setup is.