Nagios Run-Time Errors

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Mar 18 16:58:02 CET 2004

On Thursday, March 18, 2004 9:11 AM, mike neuliep shared with us:

> Nagios Users List:
>
> I'm running into the two following run time errors:
>
> [1079563103] Warning: The check of service 'PING' on host 'site1396'
> could not be performed due to a fork() error.  The check will be
> rescheduled.
>
> [1079563109] SERVICE ALERT: site1394;PING;UNKNOWN;SOFT;1;Cannot open
> pipe: /bin/ ping -n -c 5 10.221.57.1
>
> When these errors occur, they will happen in blocks of twenty or
> thirty at a time and the progressively get worse as Nagios runs.
> Currently I'm attempting to monitor about 500 sites and 600 services.
> The OS is the latest Debian Stable running on a Compaq DL380 dual
> p2.8 with 3gig ram so I'm 100% there isn't any bottleneck in the
> hardware.  The OS is not running out of processes because I can
> launch new processes when nagios can't fork.  The problem is present
> in both nagios 1.1 and nagios 1.2.
>
> There have been a few posts on this subject in the listserv in the
> past, however no one ever has had a resolution for it.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated!

Do you see that nagios is spawning a lot of processes that hang around?
Is the daemon using a lot of memory? You could be hitting ulimits. By
default most linux (and unix?) distributions limit the number of open
files, memory usage, max processes etc that a single user can gobble up
and are generally much less than the total for a machine. Under redhat
the limits are rather high but Debian could be more strict. Run 'ulimit
-a' as nagios to see what those are and how your utilization compares.
I'm presuming that the space above between '/bin/' and 'ping -n' is a
copy/paste error.

--
Marc