Problem with time between soft down checks

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Thu Mar 18 16:44:31 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 09:52, Josh Van As wrote:
> Thank you for the advice!
>
> I hope this has been changed in 2.0, or at least made user selectable.
>
> How do you just run service checks for a particular host?  I thought
> there had to be a host check so that you can set up a service check?

The way nagios works is it runs service checks.  If the service is in
WARNING or CRITICAL state, then nagios will run the check command for
the host associated with the service.  So, by default you are running
service checks.

So what's happening if you have a network glitch, which causes the
service check to fail.  Nagios immediately starts doing host checks to
see if the host is alive.  Because of the network glitch, they fail and
you get a page.

What Marc was saying is that Nagios unfortunately doesn't let you do
much configuration with how host checks are done.

One (slightly convoluted) solution might be to have the default contacts
for your hosts be setup to never actually notify anyone.  Then setup
escalations, so that it'll wait until the next time that host is
actually checked before it "escalates" the notifications to actually
notify someone.