occasional stuck mail

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Thu Mar 18 15:45:05 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 00:04, Noah Leaman wrote:
> I don't believe this is actually a problem with nagios but with the
> mail app being used to send notifications out. I am using Mac OS X
> Panther so it's actually by default Postfix (not Sendmail) being used.
> I also am not able to reproduce the problem consistently, but it looks
> bad anytime people aren't notified.
>
> What is happening is once and awhile, an email notification doesn't get
> sent until another later email is sent. Nagios does report the
> notification as being sent so I believe the notify command (shown
> below) is being executed. It seems like the mail gets stuck in a mail
> queue or something and only gets sent when it sends the next mail.

I could be mistaken, but it sounds like you don't have a postfix daemon
hanging around to handle your mail queue.  So if there's any problem
with sending the mail the first time, it just gets queued, and is
ignored until your next sending of mail causes postfix to load up again.

I've never used MacOS X so I couldn't tell you how to go about fixing
it.