NRPE

jeff vier jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com
Wed Mar 17 21:34:03 CET 2004

You should reply to the mailing list as a whole so that everyone can
benefit (if I'm right) or tell you what you *should* do (if I'm wrong)
:)

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 14:10, "Labonté, Diane" wrote:
> When I first configured this file, I had used that address of the remote
> host, but this is where it gets a bit sticky!  The remote host is actually
> the nagios box.  My supervisor (I am a student, doing my apprenticeship)
> feels that by doing the installation like this (just for test purposes) that
> it would be like a virtual test of the Nagios box.  Just in passing, if I
> understand the system properly, I must put the IP address here for every
> server that I want to monitor?

No, your xinetd daemon restricts requests to the listed IPs only.  So,
assuming you're writing your /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe file once (to be
distributed) you'd put in a space-separated list of your nagios servers.

So, it *might* work on loopback, but you may have more success putting
the actual IP in there - it depends more on how you're making the call
with the plugin.

> As I said earlier, I looked up for info on the web, I checked my
> installation, but nothing works.  I just put back the IP address of the
> remote (in this case the virtual) host, and I still get the same error.
>
> I guess that my question for you now would be, because I am not actually
> going out onto another server, could this be what is creating my problem?  I
> think that I should add that to try to make this as real as possible a test,
> the NRPE daemon was installed in my home directory which is on another
> server than the Nagios installation.

You can self-check with NRPE (though it *is* a bit silly, officially).
I've done it a couple times for brevity of configs :)

> I hope that I have described the installation well enough that you are able
> to understand what I have done.  If this is not clear, please let me know
> and I will try again to explain.

I would look at your logs.  What does "grep -i nrpe /var/log/*" tell
you?

Here's what I do to install NRPE on a client, btw:
scp a pre-packaged nrpe tarball to the client
un-tar it into /usr/local/nrpe
make any edits to /usr/local/nrpe/nrpe.cfg I need (usually none)
then I paste this 'mini-script' into my console window:
-------
echo "
# default: on
service nrpe
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = nagios
        server          = /usr/local/nrpe/nrpe
        server_args     = -c /usr/local/nrpe/nrpe.cfg --inetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
        only_from       = 119.0.0.206 119.1.0.206
}" > /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe
echo "nrpe              5666/tcp                        # NRPE added by
boinger" >> /etc/services
chown -R root:daemon /usr/local/nrpe
chmod -R 755 /usr/local/nrpe
chmod 644 /usr/local/nrpe/nrpe.cfg