Nagios performance issue for 411 nodes and 1218 services

Frank Pikelner pikelner at rogers.com
Wed Mar 17 14:06:20 CET 2004

We're running Nagios 1.1 on a Dual Xeon 2.4GHz box with 512MB RAM on FreeBSD
4.8. At present we monitor 411 nodes and 1218 service checks every 5
minutes. As the number of nodes and service checks passed about 350 nodes
and 1000 service checks we seem to get continuously from 0-30 ICMP timeouts
for various servers (random). From Nagios I can manually PING the hosts and
no timeouts occur (ping times are 40-100ms over WAN). Nagios is configured
to do Smart Scheduling. If I look in Performance info for Nagios I get about
99-100% of the checks completing in less than 5 minutes (though does improve
every once in a while). The CPU and the level of traffic does not appear to
be great.

My question is have we reach a monitoring limit (would doubt this)?
Is there a bug in Nagios 1.1 that may be affecting our ability to monitor
this number of hosts?
Any suggestions on what other troubleshooting can be done in Nagios?

Thank you,

Frank Pikelner