Large networks ?

Justin Hennessy jhennessy at mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au
Wed Mar 17 00:26:03 CET 2004

Hi all,

On this question I was wanting to know how Nagios is with regards to
bandwidth. I have alot of customers that I deal with and I was wondering
what the bandwidth consumption would be for monitoring remote networks?

Also would I conserve bandwidth by only using checks with SNMP?

Justni

>>> Andrew Barker <andrew.barker at nottingham.ac.uk> 16/03/2004 7:29:01
pm >>>
I have 3 nagios machines all of which monitor different things, I
monitor all my windows servers on one box (68 hosts, 350 services).
The other 2 machines have 2 nagios installations on (they are a
failover
pair), which monitor different things for historical reasons, they
monitor about 60 hosts and 300 services each, they run on a pentium
III
700 and check most services every 5 or 10 minutes, the load rarely
gets
above about 0.30 despite the fact they all have web severs as well.
(actually I suspect the load would rarely gets above 0.05 but they run
so they can give a live display of the status in the server room)
Hope this is the sort of size you had in mind, I would be quite happy
running all of the host monitoring under one installation (about 180
hosts and 1000 services) on my PIII

Andy

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 18:04, nadine.vandois at bull.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Nagios on small networks, and now, I would like to
get
> some idea on how many servers (servers, routers) and services, Nagios
can
> monitor.
> And, in this case, which configuration is required, and what are the
> performances.
>
> May someone give some information on this subject ?
>
> Has someone got experience by monitoring large networks ?
>

> Any information you can give is most welcome.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>

> Nadine VANDOIS

reporting any issue.
> ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to
/dev/null

reporting any issue.