service dependency

Jag agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue Mar 16 16:22:05 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 20:02, Hu Thomas Pan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set up a service dependency but it doesn't seem working. The following is
> the definition:
>
> Define servicedependency {
> 	host_name	host_a
> 	service_description	service_a
> 	dependent_hostgroup_name	group_a,group_b

I'm not familiar with 'dependent_hostgroup_name' nor do I see it in the
documentation.  My servicedependency's use 'dependent_host_name'.  What
version of nagios are you running?

> 	dependent_service_description	service_b
> 	execution_failure_criteria	w,u,c
> 	notification_failure_criteria	w,u,c
> }
>
> What I want is that service_b on group_a and group_b hosts would depend on
> service_a at host host_a. When service_a at host host_a is at w,u,c status,
> please stop check service_b on group_a and group_b, ignore notification
> relative to service_b on group_a and group_b.

Sounds right, except for me having not heard of
'dependent_hostgroup_name' before.  How is it not failing?  One thing to
note, with the way you have everything setup, if service_a on host_a
fails, then the status for service_b on the machines in group_a and
group_b will NOT change.  They will stay in the OK (or whatever) state
since no checks will be run to update the state.