config check problem

kevin krcalhoo at mtu.edu
Mon Mar 15 15:26:01 CET 2004

Stefan Kargl wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> When I run: nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg I get the following error:
>
> Nagios 1.2
> Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 02-02-2004
> License: GPL
>
> Reading configuration data...
>
> Running pre-flight check on configuration data...
>
> Checking services...
> Error: There are no services defined!
>        Checked 0 services.
>
> my services.cfg:

<snip>

> # Service definition
> define service{
>        use                             generic-service         ; Name
> of service template to use
>
>        host_name                       gateway
>        service_description             PING
>        is_volatile                     0
>        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
>        check_period                    24x7
>        max_check_attempts              3
>        normal_check_interval           5
>        retry_check_interval            1
>        contact_groups                  superuser
>        notification_interval           240
>        notification_period             24x7
>        notification_options            c,r
>        }
>
> the path to the services.cfg is set correctly in nagios.cfg, group
> superuser exists with users, host gateway exists

I would try adding a register line to the service definition.  Below is
an example of one of my service definitions.
define service{
         use                             generic-passive ; Name of
service template to use
         hostgroup_name                  SMTP
         service_description             port8126
         contact_groups                  smtp-contacts, Administrators
         notification_options            w,c,r
         check_command                   service-is-stale
         register                        1
         }
Kevin Calhoon