volatile state stalking - snmp traps service notifications

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Fri Mar 12 12:37:45 CET 2004

Noah Leaman wrote:

> I have over 70,000 interfaces/ports (just the up/up ones) for which I
> could receive linkDown and linkUp traps for. And this is just a sampling
> of hosts on our network to pilot nagios to see if it can do what we
> want. Doesn't it seem a little crazy to have to deal with that many
> services even if they are passive? And this is just linkDown and linkUp.
> What about all other possible traps that could be received?

There are been some good suggestions as to possible solutions to the
problem using Nagios from others. The "but" is that in the end its
"horses for courses" and perhaps Nagios is not suitable for a large
scale network management scenario like this.

I'd guess 70,000 ports in use represents a lot of devices and I'd expect
a portion of the network budget to be devoted to management tools of the
OpenView type.

One possible different open source tool you may want to have a look at
is OpenNMS. I believe this is more scalable for the scenario you
describe and could be a better fit. Please don't take this as lack of
faith in Nagios, I think its great and we looked at using it in
conjunction with OpenView or OpenNMS. In the end the functionality we
wanted had to be built, so using plugins and passive checks worked well
for us.

Jim Mozley