[Nagios-users] Large scale network monitoring limits with nagios

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Mar 11 17:49:32 CET 2004

> network monitoring limits with nagios
>
> Noah Leaman wrote:
>
>> Using the concept of one service per up/down trap for each network
>> interface, I tested a little by creating a very simple set of nagios
>> configs, but with about 8000 PASSIVE service checks and no active
>> service checks. of course there was no problem in terms of scheduling
>> issues, but the CGIs all crawled to a snails pace. In my setup
>> (nagios
>> 1.2, Dual G4 first-gen xServe) it takes about 30 secs to display the
>> Status Summary page.
>>
>> ... So 9236 services all together but this is really just a small
>> subset of what I would like to be able to do. The plan is to through
>> hardware at it to spread out the real work being done (i.e. the
>> active checks).
>>
>> But with just this setup, a single CGI take up an entire CPU to run
>> and for a few minutes a lot of the time... and the plan was to have a
>> good handful of GUI users (5 ish at a time)... it's just about
>> unusable with one GUI user.

Has anyone tried recompiling the cgis using FastCGI? If so, are there
any caveats? Currently, I don't have enough service checks to slow down
my cgis, although this could become an issue in the near future.
Wondering if this is an option that I should explore?

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)