Large scale network monitoring limits with nagios

Noah Leaman noah at mac.com
Thu Mar 11 13:52:00 CET 2004

Hopes it's o.k. cross posting to both groups on this matter...

Using the concept of one service per up/down trap for each network
interface, I tested a little by creating a very simple set of nagios
configs, but with about 8000 PASSIVE service checks and no active
service checks. of course there was no problem in terms of scheduling
issues, but the CGIs all crawled to a snails pace. In my setup (nagios
1.2, Dual G4 first-gen xServe) it takes about 30 secs to display the
Status Summary page.

Of course that config setup isn't the actual production plan...

I enabled the closer to real-world configs:

552 check_traffic (2 snmpgets running every 10 minutes per service
check storing to an RRD)
295 check_ping (number of locally monitored hosts)
8389 check_dummy (mostly the up/down Trap and about 100 are passive
services coming from 2 other distributed nagios servers doing pings and
check_traffics)

... So 9236 services all together but this is really just a small
subset of what I would like to be able to do. The plan is to through
hardware at it to spread out the real work being done (i.e. the active
checks).

But with just this setup, a single CGI take up an entire CPU to run and
for a few minutes a lot of the time... and the plan was to have a good
handful of GUI users (5 ish at a time)... it's just about unusable with
one GUI user.

How to monitor traps for hundreds of network hosts and tens of
thousands different interfaces each of which could generate up/down
traps along with other traps. I tried setting up a single "catch-all"
trap service per host, but notification would need to occur when going
from and OK to another OK (with a different output). Shouldn't this
work with is_volatile on and stalking_options set to o,w,u,c (every
test I've done to get this working from OK to OK doesn't work... but
maybe I missed something).

So the higher level question here is am I over my head in what or how I
can do this with nagios? After tackling the network monitoring needs,
the plan was to then start the server monitoring (around 1000 servers
of many platforms).

Any helpful guidance?

--
Noah