No services defined

Jamie Penman-Smithson jamie+gmane at silverdream.org
Thu Mar 11 05:48:17 CET 2004

Hey all,

I recently added a few hosts/services, and restarted nagios - now all it
says is that there are no services, hosts, etc. defined, when they are.
I'm using the MySQL backend, with nagios  1.2.

root at evenstar:/etc/nagios# nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Nagios 1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 02-02-2004
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
Error: There are no services defined!
         Checked 0 services.
Checking hosts...
Error: There are no hosts defined!
         Checked 0 hosts.
Checking host groups...
Error: There are no host groups defined!
         Checked 0 host groups.
Checking contacts...
Error: There are no contacts defined!
         Checked 0 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
Error: There are no contact groups defined!

         Checked 0 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
         Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking host group escalations...
         Checked 0 host group escalations.
<snip>
etc. etc. ...

It doesn't list any line numbers as being incorrect, and I haven't been
able to find a debug option for nagios.

The strangest thing is that it worked fine, up until I restarted it, and
if my additional hosts/services were incorrect, surely it would have
said something different to "no services defined"..?

Is there anyway to get it to display more verbose info?

TIA

-jamie <jamie at silverdream.org> | spamtrap: spam at silverdream.org
  w: http://silverdream.org | p: sms at silverdream.org
  pgp key @ http://silverdream.org/~jps/pub.key
  04:30:01 up 7 days, 13:50, 11 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.32, 0.38