Newbie: setting up swap space monitoring on a remote system

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Mar 10 22:38:04 CET 2004

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004 1:33 PM, Narayanasamy, Sundar shared with
us:

> Hello,
>
> How do I monitor the swap space on a remote system? I am able to do
> it on a local system, but not on a remote system.
>
> Any help is deeply appreciated?

In order of simplicity: check-by-ssh, NRPE, or NSCA. Each has a
different implementation strategy. Check-by-ssh will allow you to
execute a plugin on a remote host via ssh. NRPE will allow you to
connect to an NRPE daemon on the remote host and execute a plugin. NSCA
will allow you to execute a plugin on the remote machine and report the
results back to your nagios host passively (You'll need to actually
execute the plugin through some other method like cron + wrapper
script).

I'm quite sure those three options are not an exhaustive list of
possibilities.

--
Marc