How to debug plugin getting into UNKNOWN state

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Tue Mar 9 01:26:29 CET 2004

Markus Baertschi writes:

> Is is very porbable that my plugin has a problem, but I don't know what
> it is and need more (debugging-) information. The line found in
> nagios.log is not sufficient.

As far as I know, you can't get more debugging info from Nagios.  All
it can tell you is what the plugin reports.  You can, with some plugins,
use -v to get more info from the plugin, but unless the extra info is
all on one line (it almost never is) then you'll only see the first line
logged.

> The plugin works very well when used from the commandline (as nagios
> user).

Yes, but you don't run it from the command line as often as Nagios
runs it.  So if the problem only shows up intermittently, you may never
see it from the command line.  I still believe that you need to show us
your plugin if you want us to help you.  The problem could be DNS
timeouts, or intermittent connectivity problems, or a bug in your code.
We can't check if you get occasional DNS timeouts or intermittent
connectivity problems but we can examine your code.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support