check_nagios command not picking up nagios process

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Thu Mar 4 14:57:32 CET 2004

> Pulled the command out of the cgi.cfg and ran it manually after the web
> interface wasn't seeing the nagios process as running:
>
> su-2.05b# /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_nagios -F
> /var/spool/nagios/status.log -e 5 -C '/usr/local/bin/nagios -d
> /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg'
> Could not locate a running Nagios process!
> su-2.05b# ps xa|grep "/usr/local/bin/nagios -d
> /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg"
>   8519  ??  Ss     0:00.10 /usr/local/bin/nagios -d
> /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
>   8950  p0  S+     0:00.00 grep /usr/local/bin/nagios -d
> /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
> su-2.05b# file /var/spool/nagios/status.log
> /var/spool/nagios/status.log: ASCII text
> su-2.05b#

This is something I've had to fiddle with on just about every Nagios server
I've built so far.

Try using a check command of:

/usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_nagios -F /var/spool/nagios/status.log -e
5 -C 'nagios'

That has worked for me before.

Benny

--
"Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your
children, and hitting them?"                   -- Bender, "Futurama"