Service RECOVERY notification is not sent

Petr Simek psimek at jcu.cz
Wed Jun 30 14:35:07 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have one host with two service checks - PING and SMTP . I stop the SMTP
service and nagios sent out service alert CRITICAL (connection refused)
for service SMTP. Then I disconnect host and nagios sent out host DOWN
alert. Then I start the SMTP service and connect host back. Nagios sent
out host UP alert and next service RECOVERY alert. This is good behaviour.

Second - I deny connection to SMTP on the host by firewall and nagios
sent out service alert CRITICAL (socket timeout 10sec) for SMTP service.
I disconnect host and nagios sent out host DOWN alert. Then I remove
firewall from SMTP and connect host back. Nagios sent out host UP alert and
nothing more. Service RECOVERY alert for SMTP is not sent out, but the
service is UP in service status. Why RECOVERY alert was lost ?

Third - I place firewall to SMTP service and nagios sent out service alert
CRITICAL (socket timeout 10sec) , then I remove firewall from SMTP service
and nagios sent out service RECOVERY alert as expected.

Why service alerts are OK in service-DOWN-service-UP cycle but in cycle
service-DOWN-host-DOWN-service-UP-host-UP are OK in first case but are
wrong in second case ?

I'm using nagios 1.0 from nagios-1.0-3.9.i386.rpm .

Regards