AW: tell me how many are you....

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Tue Jun 29 21:46:25 CEST 2004

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> That was my first thought.
>
> I guess I take my workplace for granted.  I often hear (after a sales/
> marketing request) "Hey, Jeff, is there an open source tool
> that can do
> that?".

I'm also lucky to work for a company that understands the benefits of
opensource. But I think there are quite a few PHBs out there that steer
away from it because they think that this means "No Support".

Neil,
If this is what management is worried about, you can let them know that
while they don't have to pay for the app, they can pay for support if
they wish: http://nagios.org/contractsupport/

> I can't imagine putting up with "But BYTE magazine says this is best!"
>
> *shudder*
>
> On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 14:44 -0400, Spencer Horn wrote:
>> Why would one NOT like opensource?
>>
>> Neil wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks guys. I now have a baseline on how to spec our Nagios
>>> machine. I only have one more battle left and that is the
>>> management decision between choosing Servers Alive(M$0ft Window
>>> based) and Nagios. They like the Nagios because it is so flexible
>>> and we can write our own custom checks. I recently wrote a check
>>> that will return a value of CRITICAL(2) to Nagios if there is a
>>> deadlock going on in an MSSQL server. The only problem they have
>>> with Nagios is that it is open source. But I have given them tons
>>> of good information/advantages about opensource. I hope, within
>>> this week, we'll find out who the winner is. Thanks again.
>>> Neil

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)