Limitation of contacts rights on the web interface

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jun 18 21:42:26 CEST 2004

Horvath Tamas wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I use Nagios for remote monitoring of my customer's network resources. I
> access customer's network via VPN, and the Nagios is running at my site!
>
> I would like to give access our customer's contacts to the Nagios web
> interface, but I don't want let them issue commands for the hosts and
> services for which they are contacts. I know that this is in contrast to
> the documentation (Authentication And Authorization In The CGIs:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/cgiauth.html). However I want to
> use external commands, so I can't disable them.
>
> Does anybody do that?

Sure. Just don't add them to "authorized_for_all_host_commands" and
"authorized_for_all_service_commands". This way they'll be able to add
comments (and possibly acknowledge things, although I haven't tested
that), but not to schedule downtime or disable checks and stuff like that.

If you want to block that kind of access as well, you could either
modify the source-code for cmd.cgi or recompile the plugins, put them in
a new directory and then delete cmd.cgi from that directory. This
requires some really weird setup though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

> I appreciate your help.

You're welcome.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson