Using ! in check_command - part 2

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Fri Jun 18 17:05:21 CEST 2004

Michael Eck wrote:
> Interestingly enough, I can't seem to make my $USERn$ macros work at
> all - although I assume $USER1$ is working as my libexec path. Even
> with the !, I can't get a check to return OK when using my macro as
> the community string
>
> I've got
> resource.cfg:
> $USER2$=public
>
> services.cfg:
> check_command check_plugin!$USER2$!75!85
>
> All is well when $USER2$ is replaced with "public"

Unless I've misread your post, you are saying that using the community string 'public' works when checking the device.
So, I have to ask, are you sure that you have the community string containing the '!' setup on the agent/device?
If so, I would think that you would have removed the 'public' string, unless it was put back for testing purposes.

In my resource.cfg '$USERn$' is set to the community string containing the '!' without backslash escaping the character like so (not my real string, but you get the point...):
$USER6$=public!

In my checkcommands.cfg I have the following to check CPU usage on a Cisco router (the command_line is going to word wrap):
# 'cisco_cpu' command definition
define command{
        command_name    cisco_cpu
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58.0 -w 84:70 -c 100:85 -C $USER6$ -l CPU\ Utilization -u%

Finally, in my services.cfg I just call the 'cisco_cpu' plugin and voila!, instant CPU utilization checking.

If a setup like this does not work for you, I would go back to what I said earlier - check your device and make sure that the community string is actually configured properly at that end as well.

Also, read these docs about macros:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/macros.html

Make sure permissions are set correctly for your resource file, as outlined by:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/configmain.html#resource_file