Service checks and retry check interval

Tom Valdes Tom.Valdes at flamenconetworks.com
Wed Jun 16 21:55:26 CEST 2004

I currently have my normal_check_interval set to 5 minutes

If a service check is missed, I'd like it to retry 5 times before
sending a notification and I'd like the retry interval to be 1 minute.
(can it be less?  Like 10 seconds?)

I've tried adding the following to services.cfg

        max_check_attempts         5

        normal_check_interval        5

        retry_check_interval           1

Shouldn't this retry a failed check every minute for 5 tries before
sending a notification?

Using a test server, I pull the plug and Nagios catches the 100% ping
loss but if I plug it back in as soon as it notices, Nagios emails me
right away and doesn't return an Up state for another 5 minutes?

The following is what I receive on the status screen.. It shows a State
Type: HARD.. Shouldn't it be in a SOFT state until it completes the
max_check_attempts?

Current Status:   CRITICAL

Status Information:FPING CRITICAL - 192.168.100.21 (loss=100.000000% )

Current Attempt:1/10

State Type:HARD

Last Check Type:ACTIVE

Last Check Time:06-16-2004 15:38:06

Status Data Age: 0d 0h 0m 53s

Next Scheduled Active Check:  06-16-2004 15:43:06

Latency:2 seconds

Check Duration:< 1 second

Last State Change:06-16-2004 15:38:16

Current State Duration: 0d 0h 0m 43s