Checking freshness Time period

Sumit Malhotra smalhotra at dataarmor.net
Wed Jun 16 08:06:33 CEST 2004

Looks like nobody has the answer ???

-Sumit
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sumit Malhotra
  To: Nagios List
  Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Checking freshness Time period

  Can anybody help on this ????

  -Sumit

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Sumit Malhotra
    To: Nagios List
    Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 3:20 PM
    Subject: [Nagios-users] Checking freshness Time period

    Hi ,

     I am using nagios 1.2 and nsca in combination . Both works great together.

    I have configured for freshness check evrey 15 minutes( As shown below) . In case it fails an alert is genrated via command noreport. It works fine for 24*7 monitoring of services

    Problem comes when i want some service to be checked for 16*5 . I get alerts even when i have configured the service are configured for 16*5(check period) ( Although i am able to suppress teh alerts using notification period i.e. by setting it to 16*5) but still there is a red alert in the web interface .I would have loved to get a wall of "GREEN".

    define service {
    name                           generic-service-passive ; The 'name' of this service template, referenced in other service definitions
    active_checks_enabled          0       ; Active service checks are enabled
    passive_checks_enabled         1       ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted
    parallelize_check              1       ; Active service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
    obsess_over_service            1       ; We should obsess over this service (if necessary)
    check_freshness                1       ; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness'
    freshness_threshold     1800    ; default 15 minutes
    check_command           no-report
    notifications_enabled          1       ; Service notifications are enabled
    event_handler_enabled          1       ; Service event handler is enabled
    flap_detection_enabled         1       ; Flap detection is enabled
    process_perf_data              1       ; Process performance data
    retain_status_information      1       ; Retain status information across program restarts
    retain_nonstatus_information   1       ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
    register                       0       ; DONT REgISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
    }

    define service {
    use                            generic-service-passive         ; Name of service template to use
    host_name                      Ababa
    service_description            Check Oracle
    is_volatile                    0
    check_period                   16x5
    max_check_attempts             3
    normal_check_interval          3