Access the Nagios web interface from the Internet?

Horvath Tamas zsitfa at axelero.hu
Tue Jun 15 20:43:49 CEST 2004

Hi Folks!

Our colleges asked me to make our Nagios web site accessible from the
Internet.

Our Nagios box is in our Intranet and it will be very complicated to
move it to the DMZ.

I have to options: configure a remote access VPN to our LAN
or let firewalls allow HTTPS access to the Nagios box.

They would like the second (and easier to implement) one, but I think
this solution is more vulnerable than the 1st one: crackers can exploit
Linux or Apache or Nagios CGI vulnerabilities.

Is there any recommendation how can a Nagios web interface be accessible
from the Internet in a secure way?

Thank you for any help, tips, suggestions.

Tamas