check_ntp

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Tue Jun 15 00:20:21 CEST 2004

Andreas Ericsson writes:

> If I were a plugin checking time-servers, stratum 0 would definitely make
> me nervous. Stratum 1 servers are the ntp 'root'-servers, so stratum 0
> doesn't really exist.

Stratum 0 is quite clearly defined and is a legitimate stratum.  It means
that no reference is defined.  In such cases it is debateable whether
the plugin should return OK (everything is working as configured) or
critical (everything is working as configured but your configuration is
not what most people would consider to be useful).

I would prefer it to point out that there is what appears to be an obvious
configuration problem, because it's the kind of thing that can get
forgotten in configuring up a server.  But perhaps some people have
legitimate, if bizarre, reasons for wanting an NTP server at stratum 0 -
certainly that's how this guy is running his and he seems happy with it
that way.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support