nrpe installation on clients

Ryan Langseth langseth at aero.und.edu
Thu Jun 10 00:45:48 CEST 2004

Kerry Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:07, Marc Powell wrote:
>
>>Only the NRPE client, it's config file and the specific plugins you
>>intend to use. NRPE really isn't that difficult to get going.
>

> Right, which is what I did. However, the docs with NRPE did not specify
> that the check_* scripts needed to be on the remote host as well. I had
> to figure that out. The Nagios FAQ page is good for most debugging but I
> think it ignores this fact.
> And yes, it is an easy matter to simply tar all the scripts up and place
> them on whatever box you want. I am simply partial to the bblient script
> included with Big Brother. It's fairly automated.
>

>>>regarding setting up the client. Again, I had to have the check_*
>>>scripts on the remote client for the Nagios host to see anything.
>>
>>Nagios has to be able to run the plugin on the remote machine so you
>>must put plugins there that are specific to the OS and architecture. It
>>can't just push the plugin and have it execute on the remote machine
>>because a) that's very very insecure and b) it could be a completely
>>foreign architecture (try running an ELF compiled program on WinXP).
>>Once you've defined the basics of what you want to monitor on each
>>machine and how you want to monitor it, it's a trivial task to create a
>>tarball to put all the necessary files in the correct places, presuming
>>the architecure and OS are the same across the board.
>

> Right. Again, it sounded like the entire Nagios program had to be
> installed, but if you only need the plugins, then couldn't you just
> simply create a /usr/local/nagios/libexec directory and run them there?
> Otherwise, I like Nagios and am working to migrate all the monitoring to
> it specifically. I would just like to reduce the amount of time involved
> in getting the clients set up.
> Thanks.
> KJ

Do you have any type of network file system on your network? For our
implementation of nrpe we setup a nfs directory with the plugins and the
  config file. Now I can update the plugins and the config file in one
place, also note that if you make changes to the config file the daemons
need to be restarted.

Ryan Langseth
UND Aerospace Systems Team
langseth at aero.und.edu