Debian b0rkage ???

Michael D Schleif mds at helices.org
Wed Jun 9 23:49:30 CEST 2004

* Jamie Baddeley <jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz> [2004:06:10:09:25:28+1200] scribed:
> why don't you run nag1.2 from backports.org on stable?
>
> It seems to me that your cfg files are what's wrong. Is there actually
> some sane definitions in services.cfg etc?
>
> good luck.
>
> jamie
>
> On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 09:10, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > I am running Debian, mostly testing and some unstable.  I installed
> > nagios from testing, and most of it was working.  I was having problems
> > with status, as documented here:
> >
> >     <http://wiki.tryphon.org/LinuxWiki/NagiosInstall>
> >
> > Those patches appeared to resolve the problem.  I remain confused why
> > Debian does not show a bug against this:
> >
> >     <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=nagios-mysql>
> >
> > I was going to write the maintainer, when I noticed that unstable has a
> > newer version:
> >
> > 	# apt-cache policy nagios-mysql
> > 	nagios-mysql:
> > 	  Installed: 2:1.2-3.1
> > 	  Candidate: 2:1.2-3.1
> > 	  Version Table:
> > 	 *** 2:1.2-3.1 0
> > 	        500 http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu unstable/main Packages
> > 	        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> > 	     2:1.1-11 0
> > 	        990 http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu testing/main Packages
> > 	     2:1.0-4.bunk 0
> > 	        500 http://www.fs.tum.de woody/bunk-1/main Packages
> >
> > So, I upgraded to that version, which resulted in the five (5) crucial
> > definition errors documented below.  I _purged_ the entire package, and
> > installed unstable from scratch -- same problem:

As I stated, this was working with testing (2:1.1-11), and b0rken with
unstable (2:1.2-3.1).  Apparently, some are successfully using unstable.
So, I agree that there is probably something wrong with my cfg's.
However, I diff'd all the original package cfg's that I am using between
the two (2) versions, and I cannot find a difference.

I will consider backports, if I find that the official DEB's are b0rken
beyond usability.  However, since I am _not_ running woody, I fail to
see a benefit?

Here are the functional contents of /etc/nagios/services.cfg:

	define service{
	        name                            generic-service
	        active_checks_enabled           0
	        passive_checks_enabled          0
	        parallelize_check               1

	        obsess_over_service             1
	        check_freshness                 0
	        notifications_enabled           0
	        event_handler_enabled           0
	        flap_detection_enabled          0
	        process_perf_data               1
	        retain_status_information       1
	        retain_nonstatus_information    1
	        register                        0
	        }
	define service{
	        host_name                       gw
	        service_description             PING
	        is_volatile                     0
	        check_period                    24x7
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        retry_check_interval            1
	        contact_groups                  router-admins
	        notification_interval           240
	        notification_period             24x7
	        notification_options            c,r
	        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
	        }
	define service{
	        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
	        check_period                    24x7
	        contact_groups                  w2k-admins
	        host_name                       balder
	        is_volatile                     0
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        notification_interval           120
	        notification_options            c,r
	        notification_period             24x7
	        retry_check_interval            1
	        service_description             PING
	        }
	define service{
	        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
	        check_period                    24x7
	        contact_groups                  linux-admins
	        host_name                       bragi
	        is_volatile                     0
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        notification_interval           240
	        notification_options            c,r
	        notification_period             24x7
	        retry_check_interval            1
	        service_description             PING
	        }
	define service{
	        check_command                   check_http
	        check_period                    24x7
	        contact_groups                  web-admins
	        host_name                       bragi
	        is_volatile                     0
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        notification_interval           120
	        notification_options            w,u,c,r
	        notification_period             24x7
	        retry_check_interval            1
	        service_description             HTTP
	        }
	define service{
	        check_command                   check_pop
	        check_period                    24x7
	        contact_groups                  mail-admins
	        host_name                       trout
	        is_volatile                     0
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        notification_interval           120
	        notification_options            w,u,c,r
	        notification_period             24x7
	        retry_check_interval            1
	        service_description             POP3
	        }
	define service{
	        check_command                   check_smtp
	        check_period                    24x7
	        contact_groups                  mail-admins
	        host_name                       trout
	        is_volatile                     0
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           3
	        notification_interval           120
	        notification_options            w,u,c,r
	        notification_period             24x7
	        retry_check_interval            1
	        service_description             SMTP
	        }
	define service{
	        check_command                   check_users!75!150
	        check_period                    24x7
	        contact_groups                  linux-admins
	        host_name                       bragi
	        is_volatile                     0
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        notification_interval           240
	        notification_options            w,u,c,r
	        notification_period             24x7
	        retry_check_interval            2
	        service_description             Current Users
	        }
	define service{
	        check_command                   check_procs!150!200!RSZDT
	        check_period                    24x7
	        contact_groups                  linux-admins
	        host_name                       bragi
	        is_volatile                     0
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        notification_interval           240
	        notification_options            w,u,c,r
	        notification_period             24x7
	        retry_check_interval            2
	        service_description             Total Processes
	        }

--
Best Regards,

mds