Modify Nagios menu on left side

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Wed Jun 9 21:19:05 CEST 2004

> I've noticed from Nagios screen shots on several sites (e.g.
> http://apan.sourceforge.net/)  that users have been able to
> modify the menu (on left side) to for example make sub
> categories below SERVICE DETAILS such as unix-boxes,
> Windows-server, Mail, printers, etc. I was wondering how this
> can be done and items placed into these sub categories below
> SERVICE DETAILS?

1) Use grouplist.cgi - install is pretty simple
2) Define hostgroups in your files, either where the line begins with
"hostgroup" or by a modification someone else mentioned, where the ^ in
the egrep is removed.
3) Use underbars, dashes, or some other symbol for whitespace, or
grouplist will try and tackle it as multiple groups
4) Always make sure the hostgroup line has a proper unix newline (i.e.
no ^M crap from dos/unix transfers)

If you follow the above suggestions, the hostgroups you define will
properly show up under Service Detail as indented groups with the
appropriate link that opens them in the right hand frame. If you ignore
rule #4, your hostgroup links will open the "Summary Map", in a new
window, showing only that group. Learned that one the hard way ;)

If anyone has a more "opt in" version of grouplist, please let me know.
I'm working on the the issue where we have internal groups and client
groups, where the internal hostgroups should not be visible to client
logins, but be monitored on the same server. I like the auto-gen of
grouplist, but right now I'm stuck building per-user views, ugh. Just
wanted to see if anyone else had something before I start working on it.

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
919-538-6326