MySQL -> pros and cons

Marko Naletilic mana at web.de
Mon Jun 7 12:32:51 CEST 2004

Michał Margula <alchemyx <at> uznam.net.pl> writes:

> Hello!
>
> 	What are pros and cons of keeping nagios data in MySQL? I have MySQL database
> on my monitoring host so it is not a problem. Currently I am monitoring 68
> hosts and 199 services.

Hi,

In your szenario with 68 Hosts and 199 Services there shouldnt be any pro´s for
Mysql. Except the realy minimal speed improve maybe.

Lets say Nagios with around 1000 hosts and around 9000 services then i would
prefer a database instead of files. Or you want to have multiple check machines
write their status data together into one database.

Also not to forgett : Mysql support is dropped (in the nagios core) for nagios
>= 2.0. So everything you would do now wont be in place with the next version.

Greetings Marko.