[Nagios-users] Re: How to Loggout?

Leonardo Henrique Machado leoh at dcc.ufmg.br
Fri Jun 4 15:05:53 CEST 2004

Devel Team,

are you all thinking about a solutinon to this problema?

I realy think it's a very important feature that nagios lacks. Why cannot
Nagios handle the autentication by it self?

We could also have an admin interface to let the contacts change their
passwords. I don't think that the it would be a security hole (.htaccess
is also very unsafe).

I hope it could be in Nagios 2.0.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Paul L. Allen wrote:

> Jason Martin writes:
>
> > It is actually a problem with the HTTP Spec
>
> Not really.  The spec provides a simple means of authenticating yourself.
> In many cases it is reasonable to assume that you will want to keep on
> authenticating yourself.  In some situations you need to be able to logout,
> and then it is up to the website to use a different means of authentication.
>
> Yahoo, Hotmail and many other sites all use a different means of
> authentication so people can logout, because these are services that are
> often accessed from internet cafes or library internet terminals.  Most
> people who use Nagios have little need to be able to logout, so it was
> reasonable for Ethan to use the HTTP authentiaction mechanism.
>
> > once a password is provided for a security realm, there isn't a way to
> > get the server to 'forget' it.
>
> It is the browser that remembers the credentials, not the server.  You
> may be able to fiddle it with a sub-directory which has a .htaccess
> defining the same realm but pointing to an empty password file.  Going
> to a page there may cause the browser to put up another login box, which
> will fail, then the password is forgotten.  Clumsy, but not as clumsy as
> restarting your browser.
>
> --
> Paul Allen
> Softflare Support