Problem with Distributed Monitoring (Freshness Checking)

Naman Latif naman.latif at inamed.com
Thu Jun 3 20:10:05 CEST 2004

Hi,
We have NAGIOS in a distributed monitoring setup. Everything works fine
until "The remote NAGIOS box goes down OR link to that box goes down",
in this case Central NAGIOS starts executing "Active Checks" for the
specific services, which is fine.
The problem is that when the Remote Box comes back up, NAGIOS keeps on
executing the Active checks with the reason "Results are stale", instead
of switching back to Passive checking. I am assuming that in this
situation a loop gets created in which, the remote results will always
be stale ?

Is there some sort of rule that I can follow to avoid this ? I am
assuming that this requires some tuning of the "freshness_threshold"
parameter ?

I have already set it as "800 seconds", while the Normal Check Interval
on the External Box (and on central box) is "180 seconds".
The "freshness_check_interval" in nagios.cfg is set at 60 sec.

Thanks \\ Naman