Multiple interfaces

PGuth at corp.terralycos.com PGuth at corp.terralycos.com
Sat Jul 31 01:12:07 CEST 2004

You *could* do this by defining each interface as a service under a single
host.  For the check_command for each service you would have something
like check_ping_by_ip!<interface IP>.  That would give you the cleaner
host presentation.  But you still define one thing for each interface. And
you'd have to define check_ping_by_ip, of course.  If you actually need to
monitor multiple services for *each* interface it's going to be pretty big
and unwieldy.

I don't understand what you mean by "modifying the plugins"....you want to
be able to give check_http (for instance) a list of IP addresses to check?
 Like you want to have a single host with a service called SERVICE and the
check_command for that service looks something like "check_service IP1 IP2
IP3 IP4"?  How does this make things easier to understand?  It's still
going to just show up in the Nagios GUI as a single service that's either
up or down, no matter which interface doesn't work, right?  So you've lost
some diagnostic ability (someone needs to go look to see which interface
is down).  And you still need to put the 4 IP addresses into the config
file by hand, although it may make the config itself smaller.

It seems to me like you can either have simple and clean configurations
with a cluttered presentation, or a simple and clean presentation with a
cluttered configuration.  I'm running into a similar problem with my
Nagios setup at the moment....the "OO"-ness of the config system is neat,
but doesn't have quite as many degrees of freedom as I'd like.  I've
basically given up on the "status summary" type pages being useful and
figure the "tactical overview" will be the main screen used, from there
you can drill directly down to the problem areas.

Phil Dibowitz <phil at usc.edu>
Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
07/30/2004 03:49 PM