NRPE dependencies - pager denial of service attack!!

Hollist, Seth Seth.Hollist at ingenix.com
Thu Jul 29 23:29:43 CEST 2004

I've noticed that if you shutdown NRPE on a machine that's being monitored
with NRPE, you end up getting a pager denial of service attack from every
single service your monitoring on the machine.  This happened to me while I
was rebooting a machine today.  I setup service dependencies so all checks
going over NRPE are depended on a basic NRPE check that uses "check_nrpe -H
HOSTNAME" just to see if NRPE is up, but that doesn't seem to help any.  In
fact what appears to happen is that the basic NRPE check keeps getting
rescheduled indefinitely until it's back up, so it always says it's up even
though it's not.  It got to the point were it was saying the "Status Data
Age" was over an hour old.

Hopefully someone on here has a better way of dealing with this kind of
situation.  What do you guys do if NRPE dies on a server your monitoring, so
that you get one page about NRPE instead of 50 pages about everything else?

Another question I have, is there a command I can put in a shutdown script
on a remote server, that will automatically send a message or a trigger to
the main Nagios server to tell it that it's being properly rebooted, so that
it will automatically be put into maintenance mode for a specified period of
time?

Thanks

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.