Clear interfaces counter

nagios-list at panazone.net nagios-list at panazone.net
Thu Jul 29 00:40:05 CEST 2004

Nadir,

Marc was correct in stating that this has nothing to do with Nagios.  In fact,
its not even a Cisco "problem".  Its actually working exactly as it is
designed.  Depending on the model and OS, the 'clear counters' command will
always reset the MAC and port counters reported by the CLI, but may or may not
affect any statistics reported by SNMP.

For example, on a Catalyst 6500 running CatOS 8.2(2), the command will clear
CLI statistics but never those reported by SNMP.  With CatOS 5.5(19) on a
Catalyst 2948G, it will clear statistics reported by SNMP and the CLI.

I would advise doing a little research on the particular device you are
monitoring using your CCO account.

-Frank