Citrix and nsclient

Mark D. Nagel mnagel at willingminds.com
Sat Jul 24 21:30:46 CEST 2004

Frank de Groodt wrote:

>It's not the command to check if Citrix is running on the box that gives
>us problems but all checks performed by check_nt very often come up with
>connection refused.

We have found that in certain cases the default port (1248) is used by
Windows for file sharing or similar.  You can check whether this is true
on your server by running "netstat -an | findstr 1248" from a shell
window (when the NSClient service is stopped).  If there is a LISTEN
entry on that port, then NSClient cannot bind to it.  We have changed
the default port we use in our customer systems to 12480 to eliminate
this problem in general. We have some tools we've developed (installer,
config tool, mass-update tool) to simplify configuration of the port and
password on new systems and across multiple already-deployed systems.  I
might be able to get the tools posted into the contrib section on the
Nagios site -- will have to check on that.

Mark

--
Mark D. Nagel, CCIE #3177 <mnagel at willingminds.com>
Principal Consultant, Willing Minds LLC