passive service checks repost

Gabriel Law glaw at storbase.com
Fri Jul 23 16:50:25 CEST 2004

HI all,

Many, many apologies on the html mail.  I was totally unaware that the
message would come out as such.  Here is my post again in a readable
format. Again, any help would be most appreciated!!!

So I have been looking at Nagios as a way to monitor remote users
machines, and it looks pretty promising, except I have a few questions.

Is there a way to install the plug-ins or something comparable on remote
machines, without installing nagios?  Really what I'm trying to do is
check_ping,

check_http, check_smtp on machines behind firewalls with a minimal of
installation. (Read: I can talk someone through it on the phone).  On
linux it's not so bad, I could hack together some suitable scripts,
but...

How do people manage passive service checks on remote windows machines?
Is there a way that qualifies the above?  At this point I am thinking at
best I can maybe use the java system but I don't want to deal with
having to support admin of a jre as well.  Or I could write something
comparable in C, but my C skills are rusty and I'd rather not do that
either.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!

-Gabe