config

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jul 22 21:18:53 CEST 2004

toussaint bouss <mailto:tbouss at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i need your help for the followings problems:
>
> 1- is it necessary to enter host's ip addresses to be discovered by
> nagios; can't we use only the network id (e.g:192.168.10.0/24 )

Nagios does not natively support network auto discovery. The core design
philosophy of the software negates the possibility. That being said, the
nmap2nagios addon available at http://www.nagios.org/download/extras.php
may be useful to you. It's not something I've used but it appears that
it can be used to emulate that behavior.

> 2- what can i do for those hosts with dhcp adresses?

Reconsider why hosts that are running services important enough to
monitor are using DHCP. If DHCP is still a must for you then depending
on the OS of the host you want to monitor you would have the best
results sending passive checks from the host in question to your Nagios
server and using freshness checking to verify they're coming in
regularly. A unix based host would of course offer the greatest
flexibility but you could probably do the same with a windows machine
either via cygwin or using send_nsca_win32 possibly.

--
Marc
This message has been quantum encrypted using twin pentaquarks charmed