Passive checks only, how to realy disable active checks without nagios complaining about.

joerg.helmert at aracomp.de joerg.helmert at aracomp.de
Thu Jul 22 01:33:48 CEST 2004

> On Behalf Of Marc Powell
>
> Benoit Panizzon <mailto:Benoit.Panizzon at imp.ch> wrote:
>
> > The last problem I get is that after the freshness tereshold has
> > expired, according to the docs, nagios dies a forced active check of
> > the service, which is quite useless as it just uses a dummy check
> > command (which can return 'Unknown', but that only helps a
> little).
>
> What are you trying to accomplish? If you want the plugin to return
> critical instead of warning if the freshness has expired then use
> 'check_dummy 2' to return a CRITICAL state.
>
> --
> Marc

If you want to produce meaningfull messages follow the docs at:
http://<your-nagios-host>/nagios/docs/freshness.html

There's an example for a script which returns info about backup state.
echo "CRITICAL: Results of backup job were not reported!"

I use:
#!/bin/sh
echo "CRITICAL: Passive check did not send data for a too long time!"
exit 2

Bye,

Joerg