Testing email alerts

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Jul 21 03:52:53 CEST 2004

> After changing the contact file, it would provide more confidence to see
> if
> the email configuration is working and not waiting for a true failure to
> occur to see if we have it right.

I typically just simulate a failure...  I change the IP of one of my hosts
in the config, send Nagios a SIGHUP, and watch the host "fail."  Let it
go long enough to trigger a notification, and then change it back to see
how the recovery goes as well.

If you can't afford to miss alerts on live hosts for the few minutes it
takes to do this, add another dummy (or simply non-critical) host and use
that one for only testing.

Benny

--
"You were doing well until everyone died."
                                                    -- "God", Futurama