Ignoring downtime?

Chris Gill cgill at newworldapps.com
Tue Jul 20 17:46:11 CEST 2004

Hi all. We've got a strange problem here we can't quite figure out.
We've got a bunch of systems that do automatic restarts late at night,
and since we know it's scheduled, I've used the scheduled downtime
scripts to automatically insert downtime for these hosts to cover the
reboots. It works for most of them, but a few still alert out on one
service or another. I've also added explicit downtimes for those
services, but that seems not to suppress the alerts either.
It was my understanding that a system in scheduled downtime wouldn't
alert at all. That's not what's happening. We're getting both down and
then up pages from within the downtime window. Is there a reason this
might be happening, and more importantly, any thoughts on how to stop
it?

Christopher P. Gill, Systems Engineer, New World Apps
cgill at newworldapps.com
703-856-7268 (Cell/Business)