Backend Nagios with a Network Correlation Device

Brian E. Seppanen seppy at chartermi.net
Mon Jul 19 19:17:42 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Tom Throckmorton wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Have you had a look at the docs for distributed monitoring?
>
>     http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html

Unfortunately, it already is a part of a distributed monitoring setup.
What's happening is the level of detail is getting smaller, and I have too
many distributed monitoring hosts as it is.   Even using cfengine for
making adminsitration easier on the hosts...

What I was hoping to do is instead of having 4000+ hosts, have an
abstracted display container of some sort, just call it monitored_hosts_1
in nagios.  Take events trap into a backend system, and have the backend
system correlate those events and then send them into that abastracted
display container... so device_4000 traps, backend interprets the event
and submits it to nagios and dumps it to monitored_hosts_1 or any
arbitrary available container.  The trick would seem to be having that
arbitrary container translation for any events afterwards, so you clear
the events properly...

Brian Seppanen
seppy at chartermi.net
906-475-0107 ext 1040