Nagios process located wrong in status map

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jul 15 12:23:40 CEST 2004

Patrick Stockton wrote:
> Our network is set up with most of our network servers located in one
> central office called Oxford.
> The rest of our locations branch out of Oxford in a star formation.
>
> I am currently working out of one of the remote sites configuring up a
> Nagios monitoring box.
>
> When I click on status map or 3-D status map it shows the Nagios process
> as a child of the Oxford
> router rather than the Bronson router.

Parents and such are considered from nagios' view, with the monitoring
process sitting at the very top. Hence, the nagios process quite
naturally has no parents (i.e. traffic going to it self doesn't have to
pass any other host).

> I know that is is a rather minor thing but where do I tell Nagios where
> in the network topology it
> resides.

By using a parent statement in the host object definition. You can also
specify coordinates in the hostextinfo, but that might be a bit
troublesome in large networks.

Judging by what you've said it seems that the Bronson router is where
the Nagios server is connected, so that should be a root (parent-less)
host (all hosts with no parents are automatically connected to the
Nagios process), and the Oxford router should probably have the Bronson
router as its parent (assuming traffic from Nagios passes through the
Bronson router ONLY on its way to Oxford, and that the Nagios server
isn't connected directly to both the Bronson and Oxford routers).

> When I finally show this to our VP this will be one of the things he'll
> pick up on rather quickly.

Then simply explain to him how the network is built and that parents
exists not only for the sake of having a nice status map, but also for
suppressing notifications and enabling the niftyness of network outages.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se