nagios usage/question...

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Thu Jul 15 00:35:03 CEST 2004

> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:18:11PM -0400, Peter McAlpine wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:54:47AM -0400, Sean Dilda wrote:
> > > Is it possible to delay execution of an event handler until
> > > confirmation is received (via the cgi's) that we actually
> _want_ to
> > > execute said event handler? I don't like the idea of
> trusting nagios
> > > to auto start things without checking with the on-duty
> tech-support
> > > personell.
>
> > That functionality is not built in to Nagios.
>
> Could you define a service escalation that didn't activate until (for
> example) the third  notification event...?  And then have the
> notification activate the command to restart the daemon required?
>
> I could be wrong,  I am a little newbie here,  and haven't looked into
> this at all.

I think what he means (and what *I* would like to see) is an event
handler that is a button on the service/host description page only, so
that Nagios would never run the script without someone viewing the
problem service/host and specifically deciding to run the script. This
way you could take a new hire and throw him in the on-call barrel real
quick without not needing to know all the passwords and file locations
and every other little detail that takes weeks to learn.

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
919-538-6326