Memory leak?

Paul Metzger pmetzger at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 11 10:17:52 CEST 2004

> I've got a new Nagios setup that's been acting up on me now that I've
got
> most of my hosts being monitored.  I have 170 hosts, and about 700
> services being monitored.  We are currently monitoring ping, sshd,
ntpd
> and ftpd on all servers.  We also have a few dns, httpd, paging
> space(using check_by_ssh) monitors in place.

Did you have any trouble with the paths for the check commands? When I
set up ours, it would not goto where the plugins were, which according
to the docs it should have knows, as they were it said they should be.
Went into the config and gave it a specific path and all was well with
the world. I'm just curious if that is a bug or if I'm the only
person(which due to what my google searching told me I am) that has had
that issue.

> Basically what I'm seeing is that when I start up Nagios it utilizes
about
> 4MB of memory.  If I don't restart the process for 24-48 hours then it
> will utilize all 1.25GB of memory on our system.  I've tried turning
off a
> couple of the service checks, but it doesn't seem to make any
difference.
> Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?  Any more
information
> needed?

I'm not sure on this, but I have a suggestion or two. And a question or
two to boot. The thing that sticks out in my mind first is the check
timing. I recall seeing something buried in the documentation about it
chewing memory if you have it checking too much stuff too fast. I forget
right off hand which file you set that in, but you might try slowing
down the frequency of the checks. On to the question, did you compile it
or did you find a package for it. I found a mandrake package for it, but
after installing it, it just didn't work. If you did compile which make
options did you use? I know there are several depending on what you are
trying to do. I am by no means an expert on it, but I'll try to help you
all I can with my limited knowledge on it.

Paul