Some questions about functionality. check_by_ssh.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Jul 11 02:00:07 CEST 2004

nemir nemiria wrote:
> Hiya.
>
> Fiurst thing I'd like to know is whether it is possible to nest check_by_ssh in
> another check_by_ssh command to check something on a third box?

Yes.

>>From the nagios server I try running the command
>
> ./check_by_ssh -H 172.16.16.12 -C "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh
> -H 192.168.16.2 -C "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -c 1:3 -C backup""
>
> but I get an error that says
>
> ./check_by_ssh: invalid option -- c

You aren't escaping the quotes. This is basic command line knowledge.
Try replaceing the outer quotation marks with single quotes, and if that
doesn't work, try "man sh" on the Nagios server...

> Also, is it possible to set up a notification system where it notifies one
> person immediately,  and then a second person after 15 minutes or so if there
> is no acknowledgment and no recovery?

Yes. Read up on escalations in the nagios documentation.

> Finally, there is one windows host that requires a reboot once per evening.
> This happens at different times each night depending on other circumstances.
>   Is there a way that I could do something like:
>
> o) Configure a regular downtime period that would immediately be ended once a
> downtime had been detected?
>
> o) send some sort of signal to the nagios box as part of a reboot script to
> set up a 10 minute downtime?

Yes. Read up on passing commands to nagios through "the command pipe".
It's all very well documented.

> o) do something else that guys on this list that are cleverer than I might
> suggest?

Yes. Since it's obviously not important when this host goes down during
the night, so long as it is up again in the morning, you can simply turn
of checks (by creating a special timeperiod) for the host and everything
on it from the time where downtime may first start to whenever you need
it to be up again in the morning.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB